Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Mom and Daughter Workout

Hey everyone! I wanted to share a workout my mom and I did last night :) I loved the feel of it because it was nice to chit chat with my momma and the workout was gentle on our bodies. Great for a day that you're already spent after work (this was the case for us) or a Saturday after a week filled with tough workouts that made your body sore.

Here's what we did:

We started with light stretching:
neck roll and look from side to side
shoulders roll forward and back
arms across body and over head
soft lunge to stretch the calves gently
forward bend and down dog (for me the yogi wannabe)
and seated glute stretch on the floor or balance ball.

Next we walked on the treadmill for about ten minutes .65 miles for me, speed was 2.8 at the highest (short legs) walking peppy but not fast. 

I like to use my back warmer during cardio workouts for the extra warmth in winter and the extra sweat. It's probably weird but I love to sweat! Just had to share lol! 
My mom wears a turtle neck for extra warmth during winter workouts, if you don't like the extra sweat factor but you want some warmth or you don't have a back warmer.
The reason I added this tid bit is because it is very important to be warm during stretching and workouts to prevent injuries like pulled or strained muscles. And it's a good idea to always wear a sweater when you leave the gym to walk outside to prevent the shock f cooling off to fast. (i do this even in the summer because if there's a breeze at it it will cool me off too fast, all that sweat and all haha!)

Then we kicked it up a notch on the elliptical (my personal fav)
I started with a resistance level 5, three minutes forward and three minutes backward 
then I dropped the level of resistance down to 4 and jogged until I reached 1 mile (according to the machine)

We finished with more stretching:
soft lunge for calves
toes on the wall and lean forward for a more in depth calf stretch
seated forward bend for hamstrings and low back
side lying quad stretch
butterfly stretch for inner thighs
I always like to finish with a gentle roll up for good measure

Here's how I roll up:
 feet parallel, knees bent, curved spine like you're slumped over, engaged abdominals and roll up one vertebrae at a time until you're standing upright, roll the shoulders back and stand straight, muscles engaged while you inhale and exhale to finish a job well done!

My Ballet teacher always reminded her students to be gentle with our bodies because they are our instruments. My husband has a few guitars and he keeps them in pristine condition, cleaning them and handling them gently and with caution. Good imagery right? 

Anyways, I sometimes over work out and this causes too much soreness. This soreness makes me want to just lay around and heal for a few days but it seems like this method only makes the soreness last longer. It also causes me to lose flexibility. So I'm working on being more gentle, doing strenuous work out on non-consecutive days and in between those days doing some moving like this work out along with stretching to keep up my flexibility and heal my soreness faster. 

I'll add some pic soon :) just for fun, but enjoy the workout and modify to fit your needs!

No comments:

Post a Comment