Friday, November 15, 2013

DIY Coaster for Mom

I came across a funny image on the internet (pretty much a daily occurrence nowadays) But I totally thought of my adorable mom whose birthday is coming up!!! I knew I needed to make something of this photo for her..but what.. and then I came to me as I sipped my water... I went to set it back down and noticed the cute painted tile coaster my husband bought Kauai that we keep in between our desks..."That's it" I said, "I'll diy her a coaster!" 




here's how I made mine:


first to gather the supplies:

1 glossy white 4" by 4" tile (I found mine at Lowes.)
1 sheet of foam paper (or felt)
the adorable image or photo printed out on regular computer paper or a pretty piece of scrapbook paper would work nicely too.
Modge Podge craft glue
Modge Podge I used the 'antique matte' kind
and Modge Podge dimensional magic

First thing I did was cut out my image to fit the coaster in my case I left a white boarder and edge of the tile exposed.


next cut the foam or felt to fit the back of the coaster.


The tile will be rough on the bottom so we will need to cover it to protect surfaces from getting scratched.Use craft glue to adhere the foam to the back of the tile. Let that dry. 





Next using a foam brush or a paint brush smear on Modge Podge (antique, matte, glossy whatever you like,I just choose antique because it went well with the vintage style image I used.) It is important to put the glue on both the front of the tile and the back of you image so that when you go to adhere the image you will be able to move it around to get it perfectly centered or exactly where you want it before it drys. One you have down where you want it smooth out all the wrinkles and bubbles so it's nice and flat. Let It dry.














Now that you've got your image glued on cover it with Modge Podge using your foam brush or paint brush. Here I used a paint brush because I liked the look of brush strokes to go with the vintage look I had going. Let that dry for another 10 to 20 mins and then do a second coat. 




Last part is to seal the coaster with Modge Podge Dimensional Magic. I just squeezed out a quarter sized puddle on top of my dry coaster and carefully spread it with my paintbrush.  




































  ...as it turns out this is a pretty popular idea on Pinterest, just do a search and you'll find some more inspiration for making nifty custom coasters. 

here's a couple pics of my inspiration coaster that sits in between myself and my hubby at our computer desk. We do have a pretty sweet set up I won't lie :P 









No comments:

Post a Comment