Friday, November 15, 2013

Vegan Pumpkin Muffins

Hello friends! I'm just loving this fall! It's a wonderful time of year as it is but this year especially so since I'm newlywed to my wonderful hubby and this is our first fall married! This has been the best fall yet! We've been snuggling up together, wearing fuzzy socks, and making tons of new pumpkin creations in our very own kitchen!! Now I must confess that I'm not vegan or even vegetarian but I happened to be out of eggs and I really wanted to make pumpkin muffins for breakfast the other day so... I improvised and came out with a delicious, moist, and just so happens to be vegan pumpkin muffin!      *note: This recipe makes great pumpkin bread too :)





Here's how i did it:

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
 (or if you have it on hand you can use 1 cup regular flour and 3/4 whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
dash of salt (preferred is sea salt or even better yet pink sea salt)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I always use a little more just because I love cinnamon)
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon honey
  








Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, brown sugar, salt  and spices in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl mix pumpkin, coconut oil, apple sauce, maple syrup, and honey. The coconut oil will stay a solid in the liquid mix especially if your apple sauce or pumpkin were in the refrigerator but this is not a problem. Next mix the wet ingredients into the dry and work the two together into dough with a wooden spoon (i do not use a hand mixer at all for this recipe) Grease loaf pan for pumpkin bread or standard muffin pan with whatever you prefer, or you could also use muffin liners if your pan is not non-stick. I used a non-stick muffin pan and had no trouble without liners but I did grease it with coconut oil. Fill muffin pan 1/2 to 3/4 in each hole thingy :p and bake for 25 minutes. If making pumpkin bread bake it for 35 minutes. 

My baking times are approximate so be sure to keep an eye on them and when in doubt insert a tooth pick in the middle of you bread or one of your muffins. If it comes out clean then it's done if it comes out with dough still on it is not quite cooked all the way through yet.

I topped mine of with whipped cream cheese regular flavor! Oh so yummy! 

PS: Kirby liked how they smelled but he didn't get any closer than that! We're still working on keeping him off the table. Let me know what you think of my Vegan Pumpkin Muffins recipe and if you have any kitty training tips :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment